Keep up to date with all the latest tips and trends in the rental marketInstant Access
Slacks Creek (Post Code: 4127)
View Slacks Creek By Rental Express Property Management in a larger map
Slacks Creek originally encompassed both sides of the Pacific Highway but in May 2002, the boundaries were altered so that the suburb was located only on the south side of the highway. The Slacks Creek Progress Association had lobbied for many years for the retention of the area containing the school, the historic St Marks Anglican Church and the cemetery, but these are now in the locality of Daisy Hill.
This is one of the oldest settled areas in the Logan District and was named after John Slack whose property was named Mungaree near the Logan River. He grazed cattle in the district from about 1845. John Slack died in 1861 and his son William remained in the area and married local girl Mary Anne Skyring. William Slack leased land along the current Pacific Highway in between Paradise Road and the Loganlea Road interchange. William Slack originally operated a slaughter yard on Mungaree which Markwells later bought, as well as another one opposite the Upper Mount Gravatt School.
When the first bridge over the Brisbane River was constructed in 1865, this land was opened up for closer settlement and the rough bush track through Mt Gravatt to the Logan River was known as Slack's track. The main road to the south followed the current Pacific Highway to Loganlea Road, and then crossed Slacks Creek on Loganlea Road and continued to Waterford.
The Slacks Creek School has operated from numerous locations including the provisional school which operated from 1873 from the original Wesleyan Church located in Centenary Road. Messrs, Shailer and Markwell ran the school committee and the first teacher was Mr Beach who transferred from Eight Mile Plains. By 1878, Francis Shailer was teaching at the school. Following a falling out with some of the locals, the church steward Thomas Armstrong, refused to allow the school to continue in that location and a site for a new provisional school was chosen in Loganlea Road. This site was on the western side of the road between the creek and Loganlea Road. The site was gazetted in July 1879.
Mail services began in 1878, with the Markwells acting as receiving office keeper. Once the railway opened in 1885, mail was collected from the railway at Loganlea and by 1890, a receiving office opened at Daisy Hill. Mail was delivered by horse and buggy twice a week.
The Slacks Creek Provisional School was subject to much local flooding and by the end of 1893, the school and teacher's residence had been moved to a flood free location on the Logan Road (Pacific Highway) near the intersection with Daisy Hill Road. It was moved again in 1964 when the ever-increasing traffic on the Pacific Highway made it a less than ideal site for a school.
The first Church of England was St Marks which was built in 1901 and still remains today in Winnetts Road. A small cemetery exists adjacent to the church. Both are on the State Heritage Register.
The first store in Slacks Creek was opened by Sid Floate on the highway following World War II. The store was built of bricks removed from a demolition site in Brisbane and it housed the telephone exchange, post office as well as a general store. In March 1954 business became so brisk that Mr Floate erected a new Post Office building next door. Both buildings remain on the service road to the south of the Watland Street overpass (which was built in 1978).
At the end of World War II the Fiesta Gardens pool operated from a site to the south of Floate's store. The site was home to an army camp during the war. In 1954, it was noted in the council minutes that the pool was emptied every fortnight. Presumably the use of chlorine and pool filtration was quite primitive at that time. This site later became the Blue Gum Caravan Park.
While attempts to commence the construction of a community hall were made as early as 1938, the war hindered the process for some time. In 1955 the Slacks Creek Progress Association formed as on offshoot of the Slacks Creek School Welfare Committee, and fundraising began. The hall was built with community labour during 1958-59 under the direction of local carpenter Dick Ison. The building was regularly upgraded, with the final brick cladding completed in 1993.
Another significant shopping centre in the area was the Argonaut Centre. It evolved from Noel Burke's Golden Fleece Service Station on Kingston Road. The site was rebuilt in Early 1967 following a fire. An industrial estate was developed adjacent in 1968, and the Argonaut Shopping Centre was officially opened on 1 May 1969. A post office, known as Woodridge East was located in the shopping centre in 1970.
The area in the vicinity of Springlands Drive was part of the Dennis family's holdings. Many locals will remember Springlands Barn, which was demolished in 1983. It was originally built to house the Dennis's jersey cows and there was a sawmill at the rear of the building which provided timber for many local buildings. In later years the barn was converted into a dance hall by the Porter family and was used for many social functions in the district for many years.
During the 1960s, industry in the Slacks Creek area was developing with a macadamia nut processing plant located on the Pacific Highway, as well as a timber veneer manufacturer, Slacks Creek Pottery, Paxton's poultry abattoir and their subsequent machinery service centre. The Moss Street industrial subdivision in the 1960s was the forerunner to today's extensive industrialisation of the area.
In recent years the suburb boundary has been altered so that the Slacks Creek School and historic St Marks Church are now located in Daisy Hill. The Pacific Motorway now forms the suburb boundary.
Source: Logan City Council