Leichhardt, a residential suburb, is three km south-west of central Ipswich. It lies immediately west of the Bremer River which was one mile from central Ipswich where it was crossed by Old Toowoomba Road. It was known as One Mile
until 1956: One Mile Park on the west side of the Bremer River was reserved in 1925, and had that name until 1930 when it was changed to Leichhardt. Reputedly the explorer, Ludwig Leichhardt, camped there. The suburb was named Leichhardt in 1956, the year the primary school was opened.
West of One Mile the area was known as Toongarra, now remembered only by the road of that name.
Immediately south of Toongarra Road is the Ipswich golf course, and on the golf course's southern boundary is the Immaculate Heart Catholic primary school (1967).
Several parks and reserves adjoin the Bremer River, including the Finimore Sportsground in Leichhardt Park.
Leichhardt is well appointed with sporting facilities, and its shopping centre is near the primary school.
Its census population in 2006 was 3074 and the median age of its residents was 30 years, compared with 37 for Australia.
Source: Queensland Places